Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials (Review)
- Formal code name: Aurora
- As the name suggested, it is suit to small business that currently do not have any server. It serve as the first server for the company that provide the file and print sharing, data backup, remote access, etc. Basically it is just a Windows Server 2008 R2 with additional small business add-on like Small Business Dashboard and Launchpad, server health monitor, etc.
- Simple licensing model and low cost with Server license only. No Client Access Licenses (CALs) required.
- Limitation of 25 PC/users. (whereas limitation for Windows SBS 2011 Standard is 75 users/devices)
- In case the company expanded and required further services like email and collaboration service then this is the ideal platform because Windows Small Business Server (SBS) 2001 Essentials provide integration with Microsoft online cloud services like Office 365 (with hosted Exchange mail and SharePoint collaboration services) and CRM. (compare the Windows SBS 2011 Standard, the Exchange and SharePoint is hosted in premises within the server)
- Additional feature that is no provided Windows Small Business Server 2011Essentials is PC/workstation backup that allow backup of client computer into server.
- SBS 2011 must own the Active Directory FSMO master roles. Of course that additional Domain Controller and member servers are supported.
Small Business Server (SBS) Essential vs. Standard Comparison
SBS 2011 Essential main differentiators:
Tailored for Online Services integration
– Cross-premise solution with Office 365
– Retain local core infrastructure
– Simple, single sign-on experiences
– Server and Workstation Backup
– Maximum of 25 users/PC supported
– Low start-up cost because no Client Access License (CAL) required.
SBS 2011 Standard main differentiators:
Fully On-Premise Solution
– Email services with Exchange Server 2010
– Collaboration services with SharePoint Foundation 2010
– Windows Server Update Servers for local server/computer Windows Update
– Only server backup
– Maximum of 75 Users/devices supported
– Each user require Client Access License (CAL)
Small Business Server (SBS) 2011 Essentials System Requirements
|Process||Maximum of 2 physical sockets supported, no limit on the processor cores)x64 processor with minimum:
|Memory (RAM)||Minimum : 2 GBRecommended: 4 GB
Maximum: 32 GB
|Hard disk (System Partition)||160 GB|
|Network Adapter||Gigabit Ethernet network port|
|Backup drive (Optional)||USB 2.0 or faster external hard disk drive (Recommended to have 2 or more external USB hard disk for additional data redundancy and backup retention period)|
References and Resources:
Windows Small Business Server Editions: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/windows-small-business-server/editions.aspx
Windows Small Business Server 2011 download:
SBS 2011 Essentials trial version download: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/gg604826.aspx
SBS 2011 Standard trial version download: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/gg492833.aspx